Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) is University of Malaya’s premier research training degree. The pinnacle of academic achievement here at University of Malaya, the Ph.D is awarded based on the examination of a thesis, prepared under supervision, which represents an original and significant contribution to knowledge and comprehension in the chosen field of study.
Judged by independent experts using current and internationally accepted standards, the University’s Ph.D programme aims to produce individuals who are not only intellectual and skilful in modern technology but also very versatile and capable of handling problems in real life situations. Ph.D. students will carry out focused research in their area of specialisation, which is of immediate relevance to local interest. Additionally, they will be keenly aware of the challenges faced in the international arena through the media, seminars, conferences and keynote addresses, and also through research attachments and collaborative exchange arrangements with international recognised research centres.
The Ph.D programme is more than just an academic distinction. The programmes are designed to ensure the fields of study remain relevant to the needs of today. At the same time, the candidates in pursuit of their Ph.D’s foresee the changes of societal & industry standards, trends and behavioural patterns; the very same qualities that make them brilliant and effective leaders.
The programme enables candidates to acquire the ability to think analytically and a broad understanding of his/her chosen field of study. At the same time, the candidate develops the ability to perform in-depth research into a specific issue. It also encourages networking with researchers internationally.
Diverse career opportunities are available in academia, research, industry, government and many other areas.
This Ph.D programme is purely based on individual supervised research. At the end of the candidate's study, a thesis must be submitted and upon successful defense of the paper, the candidate will be granted Ph.D status. All research proposals must be approved and supervised by the Faculty.
Ph.D candidates’ theses must not exceed 100,000 words. They are required to complete their studies within 12 semesters.
Foreign candidate whose first degree is from a university where English is not the medium of instruction must have at least:
- A band 6 for IELTS; or
- A score of 550 paper based total or a score of 213 for computer-based total for TOEFL.
Without the language requirement above, the candidate must attend and pass the English Language Proficiency Programme (ELP) conducted by University of Malaya Centre for Continuing Education (UMCCed) at the level stipulated by the University.
- The minimum qualifications for admission into a programme of study are as follows:
- A Master’s degree; Or
- A Bachelor of Medicine or Dentistry; and
evidence of adequate training and ability to undertake the Degree programme of study.
- Notwithstanding paragraphs (1)(a) and (b), in special cases and subject to the approval of the Senate, the Faculty may at its discretion admit any candidate who possesses qualifications other than those provided for above.
- Not withstanding sub rules (1) and (2), the University may consider for admission into any Degree programme of study a person who possesses a Bachelor’s degree with distinction (CGPA 3.7 and above or its equivalent), subject to monitoring of the candidate’s progress and a presentation by the candidate on the progress of his/her research in a seminar of two semesters from the date of registration.
- If the progress of his/her study is satisfactory, the candidate may be permitted to continue his/her candidature as a Degree candidate. However, if the progress of his/her study is not satisfactory, his/her candidature will be converted to the relevant Master’s degree.
- The admission of any candidate shall be at the discretion of the Faculty. Provided always in certain circumstances the Dean of the Faculty may, on the recommendation of the Deputy Dean responsible for postgraduate programme and the Head of the Department, admit a candidate who fulfill the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field and a CGPA of not less than 3.0(or its equivalent); and
- A Master’s degree with Distinction in the relevant field or a Master’s degree with a CGPA of not less than 3.0 (or its equivalent), whichever is relevant.
Twice a year in Semester 1(September) or Semester 2 (February).
RM24,988.00 (Local student)
RM45,385.00 (International student)
(Fees above are subjected to amendment by the Management of University of Malaya)