1.1.UNIVERSITI MALAYA (UM) takes your privacy seriously.
1.2. In the course of providing you with the Online Services, we will be collecting, using, disclosing, storing and/or processing data, including your personal data.
1.7. All of these terms apply to UNIVERSITI MALAYA's services users.
2.1. Personal data means any information about an individual, whether recorded in a material form or not and whether true or not, who can be identified from that data (whether directly or indirectly), or from that data and other data to which we have or are likely to have access.
2.2. During the course of your use and the provision of the Services, we may collect personal data about you, as follows:
(a) Identity data, such as your name, gender, and date of birth;
(b) Contact data, such as billing address, delivery address, email address and phone numbers;
(c) Account data, such as bank account details, bank statements, credit card details and payment details (such account data may also be collected directly by our affiliates and/or third party payment service providers);
(d) Transaction data, such as details about orders and payments, and other details of products and Services related to you;
(e) Technical data, such as Internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, international mobile equipment identity, device identifier, IMEI, MAC address, cookies (where applicable) and other information and technology on the devices you use to access the Service;
(f) Profile data, such as your username and password, orders related to you, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses;
(g) Usage data, such as information on how you use the Services, view any content in the Services, including the time spent while using the Services, items and data searched for on the Platform, access times and dates, as well as websites you were visiting before you came to the Platform and other similar statistics;
(h) Location data, such as when you capture and share your location with us in the form of photographs or videos and upload such content to the Platform;
(i) Marketing and communications data, such as your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties, your communication preferences and your chat, email or call history on the Platform or with third-party customer service providers; and
How we receive your personal data
2.3. During the course of your use of the Platform, we may receive personal data from you in the situations, as follows:
(a) When you browse our website (both mobile and web versions);
(b) When you create an account with us;
(c) When you make a transaction regarding the services/products available on the Platform;
(d) When you activate or use any payment-related functions available via the services/products on the Platform or provided by our third party service providers;
(e) When you use any of the features and functions available via the services/products on the Platform;
(f) When you log in to your account on the Platform or otherwise interact with us via an external service or application, such as Facebook or Google;
2.4. We may collect personal data from you, third parties (including but not limited to agents, vendors, contractors, partners and any others who provide services to us, who collect your personal information and/or perform functions on our behalf, or with whom we collaborate, including but not limited to payment service providers, government sources of data, financial providers, credit bureaus, delivery, marketing and other service partners), our affiliates, or such data may be collected automatically when you use the Platform or the Services, as set out in this section. See also section 10 below on the collection of computer data.
2.6. You must only submit personal data which is accurate and not misleading and you must keep it up to date and inform us of any changes to the personal data you have provided to us. We shall have the right to request for documentation and carry out the necessary checks to verify the personal data provided by you as part of our user verification processes or as required under law.
Purpose of Use
3.1. The personal data we collect from you or via third parties may be used for certain purposes, as follows:
(a) Processing your order for products:-
- To process orders you submit through the Platform;
- To deliver the products you have purchased through the Platform. We may pass your personal information on to a third party (e.g. our logistics partner) or relevant regulatory authority (e.g. customs) in order to make delivery of the product to you;
- To update you on the delivery of the products;
- To provide customer support for your orders; and
- To verify and carry out payment transactions (including any credit card payments, bank transfers, offline payments, remittances, or e-wallet transactions) in relation to payments related to you and/or Services used by you. In order to verify and carry out such payment transactions, payment information, which may include personal data, will be transferred to third parties such as our payment service providers.
(b) Providing Services
- To facilitate your use of the Services or access to the Platform;
- To administer your account (if any) with us;
- To display your name, username or profile on the Platform;
- To respond to your queries, feedback, claims or disputes.;
- To verify and carry out payment transactions (including any credit card payments, bank transfers, offline payments, remittances, or e-wallet transactions) in relation to payments related to you and/or Services used by you.
- In order to verify and carry out such payment transactions, payment information, which may include personal data, will be transferred to third parties such as our payment service providers.
(c) Legal and operational purposes
- To ascertain your identity in connection with fraud detection purposes;
- To compare information, and verify with third parties in order to ensure that the information is accurate;
- To process any complaints, feedback, enforcement action and take-down requests in relation to any content you have uploaded to the Platform;
- To produce statistics and research for internal and statutory reporting and/or record-keeping requirements;
- To store, host, back up your personal data;
- To perform due diligence checks;
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements (including, where applicable, the display of your name, contact details and company details), including any law enforcement requests, in connection with any legal proceedings, or otherwise deemed necessary by us;
(d) Analytics, research, business and development
- To understand your user experience with the Services and the Platform;
- To improve the layout or content of the pages of the Platform and customise them for users;
- To identify visitors on the Platform;
- To conduct surveys, including carrying out research on our users’ demographics and behaviour;
- To improve our current technology (e.g. voice recognition tech, etc) via machine learning or other means;
- To derive further attributes relating to you based on personal data provided by you (whether to us or third parties), in order to provide you with more targeted and/or relevant information;
- To conduct data analysis, testing and research, monitoring and analysing usage and activity trends;
- To further develop our products and services; and
- To know our buyers/customers better.
- Any other purpose to which your consent has been obtained; and
- To conduct automated decision-making processes in accordance with any of the above purposes.
Who we disclose your personal data to
3.2. We may share (or permit the sharing of) your personal data with and/or transfer your personal data to third parties and/or our affiliates for the above-mentioned purposes. These third parties and affiliates, which may be located inside or outside your jurisdiction, include but are not limited to:
(i) Service providers (such as agents, vendors, contractors and partners) in areas such as payment services, logistics and shipping, marketing, data analytics, market or consumer research, survey, social media, customer service, installation services, information technology and website hosting;
(ii) Their service providers and related companies; and
(iii) Other users of the Platform or Services.
3.3. In disclosing your personal data to them, we endeavour to ensure that the third parties and our affiliates keep your personal data secure from unauthorised access, collection, use, disclosure, processing or similar risks and retain your personal data only for as long as your personal data is needed to achieve the above-mentioned purposes.
3.4. We may also share personal data in connection with any proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we satisfy the requirements of applicable data protection law when disclosing your personal data.
International data transfer
Third party services
4.1. You may communicate the withdrawal of your consent to the continued use, disclosure, storing and/or processing of your personal data by contacting us using the contact details below, subject to the conditions and/or limitations imposed by applicable laws or regulations.
4.2. Please note that if you communicate your withdrawal of your consent to our use, disclosure, storing or processing of your personal data for the purposes and in the manner as stated above or exercise your other rights as available under applicable local laws, we may not be in a position to continue to provide the Services to you or perform any contract we have with you, and we will not be liable in the event that we do not continue to provide the Services to, or perform our contract with you. Our legal rights and remedies are expressly reserved in such an event.
5.1. It is important that the personal data you provide to us is accurate and complete for you to continue using the Platform and for us to provide the Services. You are responsible for informing us of changes to your personal data, or in the event, you believe that the personal data we have about you is inaccurate, incomplete, misleading, or out of date.
5.2. We encourage you to update and modify your information to make it more accurate and effective. You can access your information through our Platform, and complete by yourself or request us to modify, supplement or delete it according to the management of corresponding information.
5.3. When accessing, updating, correcting, and deleting the above information, we may ask you to do identity verification to keep your information secure.
5.4. We take steps to share the updates to your personal data with third parties and our affiliates with whom we have shared your personal data if your personal data is still necessary for the above-stated purposes.
6.1. You may request information about your personal data which we have collected, or enquire about the ways in which your personal data may have been used, disclosed, stored or processed by us via the personal account information setting on our Platform or by contacting us using the contact details below. You may also request correction of any error or omission in your personal data which we have collected in the same way. In order to facilitate processing of your request, it may be necessary for us to request further information relating to your request. Where permissible under law, we may refuse such correction requests if deemed vexatious or unreasonable.
7.1. To safeguard your personal data from unauthorised access, collection, use, disclosure, processing, copying, modification, disposal, loss, misuse, modification or similar risks, we have introduced appropriate administrative, physical and technical measures such as:
(a) Restricting access to personal data to individuals who require access;
(b) Maintaining technology products to prevent unauthorised computer access;
(c) Using 128-bit SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption technology when processing your financial details; and/or
(d) implementing other security measures as required by applicable law.
7.2. You should be aware, however, that no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is completely secure. While security cannot be guaranteed, we strive to protect the security of your information and are constantly reviewing and enhancing our information security measures.
8.1. We will only retain your personal data for as long as we are either required or permitted to by law or as relevant for the purposes for which it was collected.
8.2. We will cease to retain your personal data, or remove the means by which the data can be associated with you, as soon as it is reasonable to assume that such retention no longer serves the purposes for which the personal data was collected, and is no longer necessary for any legal or business purpose.
9.1. UNIVERSITI MALAYA does not sell products to minors (which is to be determined based on the applicable law), nor does it intend to provide any of the Services or the use of the Platform to minors. We do not knowingly collect any personal data relating to minors.
9.4. We will not be responsible for any unauthorised use of the Services on the Platform by yourself, users who act on your behalf or any unauthorised users. It is your responsibility to make your own informed decisions about the use of the Services on the Platform and take necessary steps to prevent any misuse of the Services on the Platform.
10.2. When you visit the Platform through your computer, mobile device, or any other device with Internet connectivity, our company servers will automatically record data that your browser sends whenever you visit a website, such as the technical data and usage data outlined in Section 2 above.
10.3. This data is collected for analysis and evaluation in order to help us improve our website and the services and products we provide, as well as to help us to personalise the content to match your preferred interests more quickly. The data is also collected to make the Services and the Platform more convenient and useful to you, and to provide more relevant advertising related to market products, services and features to you.
10.4. Cookies are small text files (typically made up of letters and numbers) placed in the memory of your browser or device when you visit a website or view a message. They allow us to recognise a particular device or browser. Web beacons are small graphic images that may be included on our Services and the Platform. They allow us to count users who have viewed these pages so that we can better understand your preference and interests.
10.5. You may be able to manage and delete cookies through your browser or device settings. However, certain cookies are required to enable core functionality (such as adding items to your shopping basket), so please note that changing and deleting cookies may affect the functionality available on the Platform or through our Services.
11.1. The Platform may contain links to other websites operated by other parties, such as our business affiliates, merchants or payment gateways. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of websites operated by these other parties. You are advised to check on the applicable privacy policies of those websites to determine how they will handle any information they collect from you.
12.1. If you have any questions on personal data protection or data privacy, please refer to our list of frequently asked questions on data protection / privacy.